Support for students in Years Four to Six
** All placements for Semester 1 2019 are now filled**
Address: Highview Road Preston 3072
Phone: 9478 8895
The Burra Program is a six month placement for primary school age students in Years 4 - 6 who exhibit challenging behaviours. We work in partnership with the referring school and parents/caregivers to tailor supports for positive school engagement.
The Burra Program is located in Highview Road Preston and is the main campus registered with the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority.
The Burra Program offers an individualised literacy and numeracy program. Circle Time and social skills classes provide opportunity for social development and are integral elements of Positive Behaviour Supports. Time is also set daily for SMART goal setting, counselling and student self-evaluation. All students are provided with a personalised learning plan. Small groups, consistent care, predictable routines, appropriately modelled behaviour, negotiated responsibilities and a commitment to engage all students are characteristics of the student management approach.
All students must be dual enrolled. For the first part of the placement, all students participate four days a week in the program and return one day a week to the main school (Wednesday), and in the second half of the placement all students participate three days a week in the program, returning two days to their main school (Wednesday and Thursday). Some students may be offered a modified program with adjusted attendance at Yarra Me School to support transition into the program.
Students can be referred by the student's main school and/or a DET Allied Health Officers at any time. An Enrolment Committee considers the referral and prepares a recommendation. Admission and commencement is subject to suitability and availability of space in the program.
Placement in the program is for six months (two school terms). Students can be referred for a start of year placement or a mid year placement. We enrol two groups over the course of the academic year. Group one commences the program in term one and completes the placement at the end of term two. The second enrolment intake, Group two occurs at the beginning of Term 3 and goes till the end of term four.
*There is no provision to extend placements beyond the initial six month period*
YEAR SIX STUDENTS
Year 6 students will only be accepted into the program in the first half of the year, as it is important they they remain fully enrolled in their mainstream school to participate in their transition to secondary school.
DOWNLOAD INFORMATION BROCHURE HERE
Important information about the referral process
- Participation and success in the program for students in Years 4 to 6 is dependent on:
- the student being enrolled in a mainstream state primary school in the North Western Victoria Region.
- the student is at risk of disengaging from school.
- the student exhibits significant social, emotional or behavioural difficulties.
- the school has demonstrated their 'referral pathway' in supporting the student in their school, including a recent cognitive assessment
- the family/carer has been consulted about the program and are supportive of the placement
- the student is positive about the placement
Our referral process involves the following steps:
- telephone/email/web enquiry from referring school or agency
- referral form completed, including:
- student observation
- orientation visit for the student, parent and referring teacher
- half day trial
- notification of outcome from placement committee
- Student Support Group Meeting is held at the referring school prior to the student commencing the program
SUITABILITY OF PLACEMENT
- Once placement is confirmed, all students are offered an initial four-week trial period into the program that takes into account their suitability and response to the planned interventions, including the student's willingness to participate in the program.
- Program engagement fee for 2019 will be $500 per semester per student, charged to the referring school.